Post-Conviction Options

There are a number of ways to attempt to overturn a conviction. Three of those options are explained below. 

  1. Appeal: An appeal from circuit court in Arkansas is a request for a higher court, such as the Arkansas Court of Appeals or the Arkansas Supreme Court, to review the decision of the lower court. 
  2. Rule 37: A Rule 37 petition usually alleges that the attorney at the trial level was inefficient or somehow made an error during the course of the representation. 
  3. Petition for Writ of Error Coram Nobis: This writ alleges that the conviction is based on an injustice that must be corrected. There are very limited grounds for seeking this type of relief. 

Depending on the circumstances, there may be other remedies available in Federal or State courts in addition to those listed here. Almost all of these remedies have strict deadlines, so it is important to speak with an experienced post-conviction attorney right away if you plan to challenge a conviction. Contact Autumn Tolbert at (479) 283-4688 to discuss possible post-conviction options in your case or if you would like to expunge your record or discuss obtaining a pardon.